Sunday, April 27, 2008

Flaking Chrome

After cleaning my G44 airbrush using my ultrasonic cleaner, I noticed some of the chrome around the cup joint is flaking off. Searching about it on the web, it seems that the windex I'm using to break down the acrylic paint is also breaking down the chrome. I understand windex on automotive chrome if plated on acrylic, but plating on metal?


Luckily, this is just cosmetic as there's no chrome on the inside of the airbrush and it still functions perfectly. It's a cheap airbrush anyway and I'm not too concerned since I really do abuse it. However, I will try other cleaners when cleaning my Eclipse as a precaution. I'm not sure if there is a good solvent that can break down acrylic, that won't affect the chrome. The Medea airbrush cleaner that came with the Eclipse does nothing on dried acrylic, it's like expensive soapy water.

No comments:

Gallery Links

Pinky Rin Archer Schpeltor Mikuru Asahina Angel Rebirth Moyashimon Satsuki Ikaruga Yuki Nagato Pinky:St Saber Mina Tsukishiro Haruhi Suzumiya

About This Blog

My photo
Sunnyvale, California, United States

A blog of my hobbies and a place to show progress and finished models. Galleries are embedded as slideshows to reduce page load time, but you can open any album by clicking on its label.

dannychoo.com

figure.fm

Akiba-Station

Through the Looking Glass