Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hobby Supplies

I picked up a bunch of these wood plaques at Michaels when I went to look for something suitable as a base for Satsuki. These were $1 each, roughly 5"x7" in varying shapes, and are made up of 7 wood veneers sandwiched together with beveled edges. It worked great painted, leaving one veneer of wood showing, though the rough surface is still visible after painting. I think something like gesso, then sanded down might give an absolutely smooth surface to get rid of the grain under paint. I also looked at solid wood boards, but it was impossible to find one that wasn't warped. These veneered plaques were cheaper and perfectly flat. I'm going to use the oval one to make a proper base for Yuki.


I also picked up a block of Sculpey III after watching that Plamo scratchbuild video. This stuff is a bit strange to work with though. It starts out hard and crumbly, but after kneading it for a while, it becomes soft and slightly sticky. I played around with a small ball of it and came up with this after 10 minutes, something similar to a Pinky head.


At this point, it was really too soft to continue working with. Any pressure would deform it, so I let it rest hoping it would harden again, which it did overnight. Michaels has one of their rare 25% off entire purchase coupons tomorrow, so I think I'll grab some more stuff.

No comments:

Gallery Links

Pinky Rin Archer Schpeltor Mikuru Asahina Angel Rebirth Moyashimon Satsuki Ikaruga Yuki Nagato Pinky:St Saber Mina Tsukishiro Haruhi Suzumiya

About This Blog

My photo
Sunnyvale, California, United States

A blog of my hobbies and a place to show progress and finished models. Galleries are embedded as slideshows to reduce page load time, but you can open any album by clicking on its label.

dannychoo.com

figure.fm

Akiba-Station

Through the Looking Glass