Friday, June 27, 2008

Mold-making

I gave away all but one of the moyashimon and have been thinking about learning to cast again. I bought this stuff called InstaMold at Michaels and experimented with it a little.


Don't let the "just add water" and "E" for easy fool you, this stuff does not work as advertised. I mixed the "strong" ratio which was supposed to set in 3 minutes and after 10 hours the mold still had not set. So far, absolute failure.

It is interesting to note that this stuff is endothermic. After 10 hours, it was still wet, but very cold to the touch and the surrounding air noticeably cooler. Perhaps hot water is needed to start a reaction, but cold tap water just didn't work at all. A quick google suggests this stuff is junk.

So now I'm thinking it might actually be easier to make a push mold out of sculpey itself. At least I know I can push an object into soft sculpey and bake it, so long as it doesn't have any undercuts (which none of these do) and the object can be removed. Not sure how much detail it will retain, but I think it's worth a try this weekend.

No comments:

Gallery Links

Pinky Rin Archer Schpeltor Mikuru Asahina Angel Rebirth Moyashimon Satsuki Ikaruga Yuki Nagato Pinky:St Saber Mina Tsukishiro Haruhi Suzumiya

About This Blog

My photo
Sunnyvale, California, United States

A blog of my hobbies and a place to show progress and finished models. Galleries are embedded as slideshows to reduce page load time, but you can open any album by clicking on its label.

dannychoo.com

figure.fm

Akiba-Station

Through the Looking Glass