Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dust Control

Morning coffee with biscotti, Mmm... Thought I would share something that worked out really well for me. I've been doing my sanding and cleanup by wet sanding with sandpaper and needle files because I like the control and it doesn't get resin dust everywhere. But with my last kit, this was going too slow, so I decided to break out the dremel with a flex attachment and a vari-speed foot controller. I bought these a while ago, but only used them once because resin dust got everywhere. I looked around the house to find a solution for this problem and found a large plastic biscotti jar from Costco.


The opening of the jar is about 4" in diameter, which is perfect for placing a hand in with enough room to move a flex tool around. I cut the bottom clean off which gives a large opening for even the biggest parts and enough room to move around inside. Since the jar is clear all around, there isn't an issue with visibility and you can still see all around the part while working on it.


It's still hard to clean up detail areas with the dremel, but for knocking down seams and removing excess resin, it goes very fast. Still wear a respirator while sanding though, as some dust will escape and don't want to be breathing that stuff in!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually use the 3M 7500 respirator and it's very comfortable to wear.

It's pretty light and I don't find it obtrusive at all when handling my tools. The only thing I dislike is that filter disks get dirty fairly quickly. They're rated for about 40 hours of use before you need to replace them, but I usually only get about 20-25 hours out of them.

peto said...

Yep, definitely wear a respirator. I have the AO Safety 95115 which fits comfortably and the replacement cartridges aren't too expensive. My only complaint is the elastic straps are cheap and will need replacing eventually. For dust particles, the R95 filters can be replaced alone without needing new cartridges - about $4/pair. I use this respirator for airbrushing as well.

This contraption isn't a substitute for using a respirator though. It's so I don't have to clean resin dust off all the nearby furniture when using power tools. As most of the dust gets contained, I suspect it may also help extend filter life.

dust suppression said...

I'm searching the net regarding dust control and I'm lucky I found your blog. It is very informative. Thanks for sharing!

peter kenneth said...

This is such a neat idea! :) Thank you for sharing it with your readers,,

Gallery Links

Pinky Rin Archer Schpeltor Mikuru Asahina Angel Rebirth Moyashimon Satsuki Ikaruga Yuki Nagato Pinky:St Saber Mina Tsukishiro Haruhi Suzumiya

About This Blog

My photo
Sunnyvale, California, United States

A blog of my hobbies and a place to show progress and finished models. Galleries are embedded as slideshows to reduce page load time, but you can open any album by clicking on its label.

dannychoo.com

figure.fm

Akiba-Station

Through the Looking Glass